**WordPress and hackers: How do I improve my WordPress security?**
A few years ago, WordPress had a bad reputation. The popular CMS was known for being an insecure platform, allowing hackers to easily infiltrate and damage WordPress websites. While the WordPress security and its image have improved over time, hackers still find ways to breach your WordPress website. In this article, we will explore three essential tips to enhance your website’s security and keep hackers at bay.
**Tip 1: Choose the right hosting**
Ensuring a secure environment for your website begins before you even start building it or creating a WordPress account. The first step to creating a secure website is selecting a trustworthy hosting company that can provide a safe internet environment for your WordPress site. Opting for an unreliable hosting company can put you at a disadvantage right from the start. Therefore, prioritize reliability and reputation over deals when choosing a hosting provider.
**Tip 2: Start off on the right foot**
Once you have found a secure and reputable hosting company, it is crucial to implement good security practices from the beginning. Here are some steps to improve your WordPress security during the setup process:
1. Adjust the Table Prefix: Change the default “_wp” table prefix to something more unique, like “8fjO18fkcJ_.” Hackers are aware of the default prefix, making it easier for them to infiltrate your website if you don’t modify it.
2. Choose a secure username: Never use the default ‘Admin’ username. Instead, opt for a username based on your real name or a nickname that is not easily guessable.
3. Set a strong password: A strong password should contain at least eight characters, including uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters like ! and %.
By modifying the Table Prefix, selecting a unique username, and setting a strong password, you can reduce the risk of hackers easily accessing your WordPress website, thus enhancing your website’s security.
**Tip 3: Choose only reliable plugins and themes**
WordPress offers thousands of plugins and themes, providing users with a wide range of options. However, not all plugins and themes are secure. To prevent your website from becoming more accessible to hackers, it is essential to check the reliability and safety of plugins and themes before installing them. Evaluate their ratings, update frequency, and the quality of the descriptions and installation instructions. If you have doubts about a particular plugin or theme’s reliability, it’s best not to download it to avoid compromising your WordPress security.
To keep hackers from gaining access to your WordPress website and improve its security, take the following actions:
1. Choose a reliable and reputable hosting provider with years of experience.
2. Modify the Table Prefix, change the default ‘Admin’ username, and set a strong password during the initial setup.
3. Install only trustworthy plugins and themes.
By implementing these steps, you can significantly enhance your WordPress security and protect your website from potential hacker attacks.
For reliable hosting with enhanced security, you can trust WPbeveiligen. With experience since 2007, they are not only experts in security but also skilled WordPress website developers.